Post subject: Weekend Reading Dec. 28-30
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:17 am 

Happy 2013 Everyone!!!

I wish everyone on this board, good health, peace and fanastic reading year!

Our family had a wonderful Christmas. I ended up breaking my toe on Christmas Eve but that didn't stop me from hitting the stores for after Christmas sales.

For the last time in 2012 my friends and I are playing cards on Saturday....Sunday will be spent watching football. John and I will have a quiet New Years Eve, I will probably fall asleep on the couch and will be woken up around 11:50 to welcome in the new year. On New Years Day we will be celebrating Christmas at my sister's house.

I did get some reading in -- read and loved the latest Kat Martin book and Obsession Wears Opals by Renee Bernard. I started the new Linda Lael Miller book the other day and after that I have no idea.

Any plans this weekend and New Years Eve? What are you reading.

Have a wonderful Weekend Everyone!!!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
I have way way too many books and not enough time to read!?!?*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://www.myspace.com/danielle_de
http://www.shelfari.com/Dani807
http://ladiesofleisurelovebooks.blogspot.com/

Post subject: Re: Weekend Reading Dec. 28-30
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:20 am 

I'll be finishing up What Happens at Christmas by Victoria Alexander and hopefully a Lady Can Never Be Too Curious by Mary Wine before the 1st. Haven't chosen a book to ring in the new year with yet.

Have a wonderful New Year everyone!

http://cindy-betweenthepages.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:07 pm 

Hi and Happy New Years everyone.
I usually spend New Years home watching movies. At midnight I get all my calls and have a glass of chocolate wine and go to bed. Next day down my sisters for all the good luck food we can find.

I just finished Vision In White by Nora Roberts. It was pretty good and I have the other 2 from the library.

Our book club is going to see Jack Reacher today. Lot of opinions on whether Tommy boy can pull it off. Some of the guys are really stubborn about him not being tall or big enough. We shall see and I will report back with the verdict.

Have a nice weekend everyone and happy reading.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:59 pm 

Happy New Years all!

I'm currently reading The Killing Floor by Lee Child (so let me know about the movie Paulette). The book is good but long. I hope to finish tonight. I'm not sure what I'll read after that.

My boys are all gone right now, Chuck and Garrett are off hunting and Rob is in San Antonio on his yearly visit to his best friend that moved away 2 years ago. My house is quiet and I am definitely enjoying the silence!

Have a great weekend!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:37 pm 

Happy and healthy and safe New Year to everyone.
I am reading Two Graves by Preston & Child. It is excellent
and I hope to finish it this weekend. This series with Pendegast and D'Agosta is my fav of all mystery series I have ever read.
I haven't decided what I want my last book of the year to be nor my first for the new year but I want to read two wonderful romances probably by Marion Lennox either a Harl med romance or regular Harl romance. I have two of her new connected books. One takes place on the Ghan train in Australia and the next is a cruise near Kimberly.
I want to eat herring for a good new year and probably Chinese food- not together LOL.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:56 pm 

Reading: nearly finished Wildest Dreams - Kristen Ashley, then onto Bedded by the Boss - Lynda Chance

Listening to: Somewhere in the Stratosphere - Shindedown, an accoustic and live concert album, LOVE IT!

Planning: A much needed trip O/S, thinking Columbia, Peru & Bolivia....

Doing: In the midst of rearranging some of my garden....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:35 pm 

Hello everyone, hope all survived Christmas. Oh, the drama of family relationships. Ours was not a "silent night" am not sure how things got so out of control. Neither of my daughters is speaking to me right now.

Reading:The Way To A Duke's Heart by Caroline Linden. Boring. I am giving it a "C" The first two books in the series were good. This one is so so.

I have put my JAMES MORRISON CD on and am going to chill out for a while.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:04 pm 

Lindy wrote:
Hello everyone, hope all survived Christmas. Oh, the drama of family relationships. Ours was not a "silent night" am not sure how things got so out of control. Neither of my daughters is speaking to me right now.
HAPPY NEW YEAR

I totally ditched Christmas this year, spent the day with my dogs at home, no over eating guilts and no family dramas, best year ever.... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:56 pm 

Went to the movies with friends tonight. Saw Les Miserables and loved it. If you're a fan of the stage musical, I think you'll like it. One guy with us said it wasn't his type of movie, but at least he didn't fall asleep. One thing I didn't like was all the close ups of the actors. I wished the camera would have pulled back a bit.

Right now I'm reading Unstoppable by Laura Griffin. It's a story in the Deadly Promises anthology. Not sure what I'll read next.

Hope everyone has a Happy New Year!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:49 pm 

PauletteW wrote:
I just finished Vision In White by Nora Roberts. It was pretty good and I have the other 2 from the library.

Paulette: I liked Vision in White but note that it is one of a series of four books: it sounds like you might be missing one.

PauletteW wrote:
Our book club is going to see Jack Reacher today. Lot of opinions on whether Tommy boy can pull it off. Some of the guys are really stubborn about him not being tall or big enough. We shall see and I will report back with the verdict.

kylebmac wrote:
I'm currently reading The Killing Floor by Lee Child (so let me know about the movie Paulette). The book is good but long. I hope to finish tonight. I'm not sure what I'll read after that.

Our family saw the movie Jack Reacher last weekend. We all liked it. My husband and I read the series and liked the movie even though Tom Cruise wouldn't have been our choice as Reacher. Still, we were able to put our vision of Reacher out of our mind and enjoy the movie. Tom Cruise captured the spirit of the man if not his physique. Our son and daughter have never read a Jack Reacher book and just enjoyed the movie as a good action flick.

Only downside: the violence of the movie right after the Connecticut school shootings. Bad, bad timing.

And speaking of the Jack Reacher series, I just finished Persuader, book #7. The series continues to get better as it goes along. I'm waiting for that "meh" feeling after one of the books ... hasn't happened so far.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:24 pm 

[quote="kylebmac"]Happy New Years all!

The movie was good... followed the book pretty much...and Tom did pull it off. We all agreed, even the guys. I would go again to see it because Robert Duvall was really great in it, too. The only thing different was that Tom threw in some wity sarcastic remarks and I tried to think if Reacher ever was witty or sarcastic.... the scene was perfect because it was a back and forth conversation with Duvall (he played the owner of the gun shooting range.) Lots of action and I think your guys will like it, too. Pittsburgh looked pretty good, too.
Lynn, I will have to go back to the library and get the other books. Thanks for the heads up.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:28 pm 

I'm late to this. I came down with the stomach flu that DH and DS had on Thursday and just now feeling better. But my stomach muscles hurt from the heaves! I have not been able to concentrate to read at all. I started a book but I'm not even sure of the name LOL. Keowee Valley or something like that. It's pretty good but I'm waiting for my download of Shadowwoman by Linda Howard. Nothing for New Years Eve for me but sitting at home reading and watching TV. Happy New Year Everyone!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:06 pm 

Linda, I'm glad you're feeling better.

Paulette, I had never read a Jack Reacher book before I saw the previews for the movie. Soooo, I already kind of had Tom Cruise in my mind when I read the first book. I saw the movie today with my mom and dad and then went to dinner with them. My dad thinks maybe he's read some Reacher novels but can't remember but we all liked the movie pretty well, even my mom. Our biggest complaint? Tom is really getting too old to play Reacher. Not even that he didn't look like him, but that Tom is trying too hard to fight what he is: a 50 year old man. He should embrace like Bruce Willis. I think he'd do better that way.

Anyway, we liked it. I'm really in the mood for another action adventure and I think I may read one of James Rollins' single titles starting tonight. I'm trying to distract myself from the abysmal day the Texans had.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:23 am 

[quote="kylebmac"]Linda, I'm glad you're feeling better.

Paulette, I had never read a Jack Reacher book before I saw the previews for the movie. Soooo, I already kind of had Tom Cruise in my mind when I read the first book. I saw the movie today with my mom and dad and then went to dinner with them. My dad thinks maybe he's read some Reacher novels but can't remember but we all liked the movie pretty well, even my mom. Our biggest complaint? Tom is really getting too old to play Reacher. Not even that he didn't look like him, but that Tom is trying too hard to fight what he is: a 50 year old man. He should embrace like Bruce Willis. I think he'd do better that way.

I think he is aging, too. I thought he looked a little rough in a couple of scenes ( scene without his shirt reallyd didn't impress me at all.) Saw the preview for Bruce Willis new movie....looks good... action filled. Also saw previews for Arnold's new movie.... I won't be going to see that... I really dislike him anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:04 pm 

I read Shades of Desire by Virna Depaul. It's about a photographer who has lost her sight and a detective investigating a murder.

Now I'm reading Shades of Temptation also by Virna and it's about two detectives who were in Shades of Desire.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/AmeliasArmoire ... p_redirect

"You have more books than a library" -my nephew.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:15 pm 

I'm finishing the year up with Lisa Kleypas' Dream Lake, and liking it a lot! Just finished up my 2012 book lists, and only read 60 books this year. But I did accomplish a lot of other stuff in 2012, including putting in over 500 volunteer hours at the hospice.

I already picked out my first read of 2013, and saved it just for that reason. Tempting Trouble by Gennita Low. Because that S.A.S.S. series of hers is one of my favorites and we have waited a long time for this book!

Happy New Year to all! Hope everyone is hale and healthy to welcome in 2013!!!

http://www.shelfari.com/o1518002717

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:59 am 

My first read of the year ended up being Give in to Me by Lacey Alexander. It's book 3 of her HOT Cops series and it features Rogan from book 2.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:30 pm 

My first read is Red by Kate SeRise. It's got a Once Upon a Time feel (kind of).

http://cindy-betweenthepages.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:15 pm 

I went to Mississippi to see my youngest son and help him clean a house he has for rent---I ache all over from scrubbing and deep cleaning for 2 days!!

On the way, I listened to Linda Howard and Linda Jones book Running Wild. I thought it was boring, slow and predictable. It was just OK and not worth the money. I wish she would have given me more of a character background, character development, or whatever. I felt like I was plopped down in the middle of a story with no background. There was no angst or problem to overcome. The female was suppose to be on the run and hiding out from a stalker, but there wasn't any story on how the stalking came about. Disappointed, I hope her next book is much better.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:19 pm 

Just finished Sea Glass Winter; I enjoyed it but it seemed more like an in between book