Post subject: Bared to You vs 50 Shades
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:28 am 

I just finished reading Bared to You by Sylvia Day. I was wondering after reading both Bared and 50 Shades, how do you compare the two books. I liked both books, but I enjoyed Sylvia's writing style better--you can tell she is a seasoned author. BUT, I think that 50 Shades has more edge, torment and angst--which I love. Granted, I know this is Sylvia's first installment of Bared to You and she will have the second book out later. But after the first book of 50 shades, there was more depth or darkness especially since there wasn't a HEA after the first book--kinda a cliffhanger.

I wish both books would have made the hero and heroine a bit older. It is more believable to think the hero is a self made millionaire when he is older and has more life experience than a 27 yr old rich guy (makes me think that he got his money from family money not self made)

I also loved the way 50 shades introduced the bondage and kinky sex right off the bat. You knew Christian was up to something different. Bared to you seemed to hint at it at the last minute of the book.

I wonder how both authors, James and Day feel about both books. I don't know who published their book first James or Day---I assume James only because of the hype was earlier---so do you think James is upset that Day copied her story line? Or has anything been said??

Post subject: Re: Bared to You vs 50 Shades
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:48 pm 

I read the excerpt of BtY and it didn't hook me like FSoG.
One thing I liked about FSoG was the heroine was't jaded by previous relationships or abuse. So it didn't bother me the hero had more life experience than the heroine. In contemporaries I see experienced heroines alot so its refreshing to see the opposit w/FSoG.

BtY came after FsoG. I haven't seen James critical of the similarities.
It would be nice if these two authors can do an anthology together. I'm rather tired of advertisers trashing FSoG to hype BtY instead of trying to get James to put a positive review on the book like authors usually do.

War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.-George Orwell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:33 pm 

I've read both and liked the FS series better though I will be reading the sequel to Bared To You (out in October 2012).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:18 pm 

I have read both and enjoyed both. I'm looking forward to the next book in October. I do agree about the whole age thing but I'm willing to overlook it for a great story.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:07 pm 

I'm about 150 pages into the last 50 Shades book (I'm dying at work while I just want to go lay on the couch and read it!!!).

I really have loved it. I'm thinking now that I'll read Bared to You since I really love Sylvia Day. Does anyone know if there will be just 2 books for Bared to You or will there be 3 like FS? If there are only 2 I might wait until October and read both Bared books at once.

I was on GoodReads earlier and I was shocked by the vitriol being posted about FSoG. I initially wasn't going to read it but I never said anything about like what I've read. Frankly, also by some people here too. It's just a book. Don't like it, don't read it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:27 pm 

Kyle...I thought I read somewhere that Bared was the first in a trilogy...but it's been a really long day so don't quote me. =)

Sarah

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:21 pm 

avidreader38 wrote:
Kyle...I thought I read somewhere that Bared was the first in a trilogy...but it's been a really long day so don't quote me. =)

Sarah

Yes, Sarah - per Sylvia's website, the Crossfire series will be a trilogy :D

Book three is titled Entwined in You and the release date in GoodReads is December 31, 2012.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1573 ... d-with-you

Last edited by CafeGirl on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:22 pm 

kylebmac wrote:
I'm about 150 pages into the last 50 Shades book (I'm dying at work while I just want to go lay on the couch and read it!!!).

I really have loved it. I'm thinking now that I'll read Bared to You since I really love Sylvia Day. Does anyone know if there will be just 2 books for Bared to You or will there be 3 like FS? If there are only 2 I might wait until October and read both Bared books at once.

I was on GoodReads earlier and I was shocked by the vitriol being posted about FSoG. I initially wasn't going to read it but I never said anything about like what I've read. Frankly, also by some people here too. It's just a book. Don't like it, don't read it.

Enjoy FSF, kyle - it's my favorite of the series...great extras at the end :D

The audio version of the series is my favorite - have listened to it five times! "Oh my!"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:55 pm 

I always forget you can go to the author's website! I checked and I think I'll wait for all three books to be out. I was very happy I had all three Shades books. I can't imagine finishing 50 Shades of Grey and NOT having 50 Shades Darker to start immediately.

After now finishing all three, I feel like I need to go back to the start of book 2. I kind of want to read them all over again - slower now.

Laters, baby!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:03 pm 

Kyle---I am so glad you read the book and liked 50 Shades. I love to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly opinions of everyone that read 50 Shades. I loved it and thought it was a very interesting and fantastic love story. The second book is my favorite. I also loved Bared to You and I think you will like it also.

Laters, baby--too funny :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:58 am 

kylebmac wrote:

I JUST KNEW that you would LOVE this book!!!! You made me laugh because you put it off for awhile (why does life have to interfere with our reading!!!?) Glad you are liking it. :D I read it in a day and a half.
I was getting my nail repaired (long story) and was discussing the book with my crazy nail lady. I said something like I can't believe you can hit all those places with a whip and not get hurt. She then informed me that yes, it could hit all those places and not hurt too bad. Then she said "I hated being a Sub because I hated being on my knees all the time." Well, you could have picked my ass up off the floor because I knew she had a wild younger life... but this surprised me. She laughed at the look on my face and then made me laugh because I am such an idiot and was sooo shocked. My Catholic upbringing and all. Oh well, I do live through my books and through some of my wild friends!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:34 pm 

You know, ultimately, it's a romance. It's not about BDSM or whatever...It's JUST a plain old fashioned angsty-romance told from the first person. I'm almost finished rereading book three (I didn't reread book one, just two and three), and after giving it some thought and trying to figure out what I liked about it so much...I think part of it is their interactions with each other. Their relationship is very "historical romance-y". He's a little older "rake" and she's a young ingenue. They address each other as Mr. and Miss when they converse and their language is rather formal in some ways, and even though it's set in the US, it's got a British feel due to the author. He spends a lot of time telling her what to do like a historical type hero would, and she follows like a historical heroine would too, with deviations here and there that get her into trouble.

Bottom line is that it felt like a historical romance set in a modern day setting and I liked that about it. I probably wouldn't have put off reading it for so darn long if I had know that it's really not a BDSM book at all.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:41 am 

I just finished Bared to You and while I liked it, I liked 50 Shades better. The writing (and editing) was a lot better in BTY but I liked the subtle humor between Anna and Christian better -- I loved the little text messages between them. I think you could tell that EIJ was a Brit in her writing. That dry Brit humor was evident.

I have to finish the book I'm reading now but then I'll download the 2nd SD book and plan on reading the 3rd. As my sister said, there's definitely a lot of sex in it but not as much kinky f**kery!

Benjamin Franklin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:45 pm 

Book three in the trilogy, Entwined With You, has been postponed until April 2013 :-(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:06 am 

CafeGirl wrote:
Book three in the trilogy, Entwined With You, has been postponed until April 2013 :-(

Actually, for the Kindle book, Amazon says May 2013. Boo Hiss!

Benjamin Franklin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:55 pm 

I haven't read SD's books, but I have read the first two FS books. I really liked the second book better...the humor, the sensual love scenes. Usually in a book with many sex scenes, I will skip some of them...not in this book. I have asked the library to reserve the last one. Don't have any idea how soon I will get it. There is probably a long list of readers waiting to get their hands on it.

Wooooooo Pigs! Soooooieee! Razorbacks!
Go Hogs!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:56 am 

I will say...both 50 Shades and Bared to You have awesome audio recordings. I have listened to both and they are spot on. So I highly recommend the audio on both books.