Post subject: If I like...who should I read?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:18 am 

If I like Judith McNaught - historicals, Katherine Sutcliffe, Meagan McKinney, Lisa Kleypas-older work, Kat Martin, Elizabeth Elliot who should I read next that is similar to them in style?

Meaning books with a serious tone that are heavy on story, suspense and sexual tension. Stories with emotional turmoil. Stories that stay with you after you've read them.

Who would you recommend?

Thank you.

Jenny

Last edited by Jenny on Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:29 am 

Try Pamela Clare's books. SWEET RELEASE was beautiful. This was her debut novel and is one to remember.

Sue

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:38 am 

At www.likesbooks.com/ifyou.html there is a listing for such queries. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:16 pm 

you could try Nicole Jordan's older books, Laura Lee Guhrke, Passion by Lisa Valdez, Jo Goodman or Sylvia Day perhaps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:59 pm 

I think you would like Stephanie Laurens, either her Cynster novels, or the Basion Club books. Also, Julie Garwood's older historicals are good. I just discovered Kresley Cole's "If You..." trilogy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:00 pm 

I forgot Karen Robards older books not her romantic suspense. Some of Linda Howard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:15 pm 

Elizabeth Thornton and Marsha Canham

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:39 pm 

I would have to recommend

*Julia Quinn
*Sabrina Jeffries
*Victoria Alexander
*Jude Deveraux (Velvet series is AWESOME!)
and Janet Chapman.

I like all the authors you have mentioned...and these are the other that I enjoy in that category or somewhat similar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:05 am 

Here's a couple more:

Christina Skye's historicals and Mary Jo Putney's older works. I especially loved Putney's ~ The Rake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:26 am 

I have to ask: Have you read Kathleen Woodiwiss's older novels. Shanna, The Flame and the Flower, The Wolf and the Dove, Ashes in the Wind and A Rose in Winter. They are all the best in historicals IMHO. Also, look up Lisa Gregory/Candace Camp. Other than her newest books, they're wonderful too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:48 pm 

Jenny-Of your list I have only read Lisa Kleypas... But I would for sure try Gaelen Foley.

Happy rreading!!!!

http://www.shelfari.com/o1516840825

Post subject: Not historical, but fits the bill - here's a quote
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:28 am 

"From the time I was old enough to grasp a knife I was trained to war. I killed my first man at twelve, and by thirteen had conquered my first town. At fourteen, I was leading soldiers into battle on a regular basis, and by sixteen commanded all the armies of the Wolf. It was I who extended my people's borders from a small area in the northeast to encompass half a continent. And it wasn't done by peaceful negotiation. Except in cases where cultures joined me willingly, I have always coerced cooperation by threat of force, or its direct application." His eyes were opaque, unreadable. "Tell me, can you in all honesty love such a man?"

--Noir Hero, Deke Wolfson

From RUIN, BOOK TWO: THE CITY OF LIFE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:48 am 

For books that stay with you, I would have to recommend Lorraine Heath, esp. the Texas Destiny trilogy. So good. They are historicals taking place after the civil war.

For more contempory try Deborah Smith.

These two authors are my main re-reads and I love both the heroes and heroines in them.

<i>Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers. </i>
Charles W. Eliot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:18 pm 

I'd start with Flame and the Flower by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss and then get Rose in Winter by KEW too. You can't go wrong with these books.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:04 am 

Jill Barnett wrote a fantastic story that takes place in WWII called Sentimental Journey. I reread it recently, because if this girl can remember the name of a book a year or more after I read it, it was GREAT! Of the thousands I read, I can only name a few that stuck with me. This one did.

Teresa Medeiros has written some great books that will stick with you, my favorite is Lady of Conquest. This book takes place in 1st millenium Ireland and is a throw back to epic romances.

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers is an absolute classic and I will always remember it. Her novellas on Rahab, Mary, Bathsheba, Ruth, and Tamar all were ladies in the lineage of Christ and their stories are compelling.

Anything by Bodie and Brock Thoene will stick with you, they write historical fiction that truly rings with historical accuracy and details. Another husband and wife team, Judith Pella and Michael Phillips teamed up to write their Russian series that gave fantastic insight to Czarist Russia. Michael Phillips is very prolific and wrote two more series I recommend, the Secrets of Heathersleigh Hall that is set in the Edwardian Period through the end of WWI. The Shenandoah Sisters takes place right after the end of the Civil War and is compelling.

Happy Reading

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:27 pm 

I just started His Captive by Diana Cosby. It's a Scottish medieval romance novel and so far it's really good. I could hardly put it down last night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:28 pm 

Hi Jenny,

I love Lisa Kleypas and Katherine Sutcliffe and Judith McNaught. I have only read one book by Kat Martin, Bold Angel and The warrior by Elliot. I haven't ever read anything by Meagan McKinney. I think I will since we seem to like so many of the same authors. I went back through a list all the books I have read (I am a nerd like that) and here is a list I think you will like. Enjoy!

Jo Beverly - My Lady Notorious (1st) and Tempting Fortune (2nd). These are the first two books out of a Georgian series of five. I thought these two were the best. Other people have recommended her other series and it is on my TBR list but I haven't gotten to them yet.

Susan Carroll - Dark Queen Trilogy
The Dark Queen, The Courtesian, and The Silver Rose
Set in the 1500s a bit of paranormal involved by way of magic. These books should be read in order. Very deep characterization and interesting storyline.

Gaelen Foley - The Duke
Regency setting, very good, rated on top 100 romance poll. First of a series, Lord of Fire and Lord of Ice follow.

Patricia Gaffney - To Have and To Hold
This was a controversial book because the hero is emotionally abusive to the heroine. I really like it though. But the book To Love and To Cherish has characters in it that make and appearence in THATH so you might want to read Cherish first. I myself haven't read it, but others have recommended it.

Jo Goodman - If His Kiss is Wicked
I know, silly title right. If you can get past the title definitely try this one. I think its one of the best books I have read published in 2007. Unfortunately this is the only book I have read by Goodman but it definitely won't be the last.

Judith Ivory - Untie My Heart
Another one of those books on the best 100 romance list. Excellent characters. Again this is the only book by her I have read.

Madeline Hunter - By Possesion
This is the first book of a Medieval series

Brenda Joyce - Splendor
Oh, how I loved this book. If you liked Prince of Dreams by Lisa Kleypas then you will like this book as well. Brenda Joyce is very talented I would recommend you glom her other works. I have also read The Conqueror and Captive and also liked them.

Susan King - The Swan Maiden
A medieval I stumbled upon and I really enjoyed it.

Maureen Mckade - A Reason to Live, and A Reason to Believe
Now these are westerns, but I thought I would recommend them because in both books the characters deal with some pretty heavy issues, post trumatic stress disorder and alcoholism. Very good writing that makes you really feel for the characters.

Mary Jo Putney - Uncommon Vows
Good Medieval

Julia Quinn - The Duke and I, The Viscount who Loved Me and Romancing Mr. Bridgerton. There are more in this series but those are the first three.

LaVyrle Spencer - Morning Glory
One of my all time favorite books!! I can't say enough about it, just trust me, read it. You won't be disappointed.

Anne Stuart - Nightfall, Moonrise
Now if you liked Katherine Sutcliffe's contemporary books, Bad Moon Rising and Darkling I Listen, then I think you will like these books as well.

Tami Hoag - Lucky's Lady
Excellent book, another one of my favorites.

Linda Howard - Cry No More
Out of all Howards books, this one is the most emotional in my opinion. Really great read.

I also second the recommendation for Kathleen Woodiwiss. I have only read Shanna, and The Wolf and the Dove, but I definitely plan on reading more.

That ought to keep you busy for a while!

http://romancerookie.blogspot.com/
http://www.shelfari.com/romancerookie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:59 pm 

I love Julie Garwoods' historicals (I'm in the process of re-reading them now...goal for '08)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:00 am 

I also recommend Jo Goodman, but beware that a lot of her books are in trilogies.

I'm a big fan of Susan Carroll also, but I haven't read her latest. I fell in love with her on the Bride Finder Series. (It's a trilogy)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:27 am 

Thank you girls for all of your suggestions. I am happy to say that I have some of the suggested books in my TBR pile and I've ordered the rest.

Thanks again.

Jenny

Last edited by Jenny on Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.