Post subject: Eileen Dreyer/Drake's Rakes Series
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:59 am 

I have both the first and second books in this series, first is Barely a Lady and the second just came out...Never a Gentleman. I had not read either yet.

I looking at the reviews on AAR because I haven't done so in a while and they had a new review up for Never a Gentleman. I was very disappointed to read in the review what I would consider a major spoiler...without any kind of spoiler alert! The reviewer tells that the hero, Diccan, is not a nice guy and he ends up sleeping with his mistress even after he is married to the heroine and she finds out. :evil:

This really makes me mad on a number of levels. First of all...I am irritated that the reviewer would put this in her review, especially if it's an important plot point that the book turns on. Second...I hate these types of heros. So now I'm left wondering do I want to read this freaking trilogy at all!

Has anyone else read them yet? How bad is it??

Post subject: Re: Eileen Dreyer/Drake's Rakes Series
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:28 am 

I agree with you 100 percent on the AAR review on this book.
Why give away the whole freaking story in the review?

I had planned to purchase this book, but why now? We know the entire story already. This is my problem with people who review books. Sometimes they just don't know when to shut up. I have just about stopped reading reviews all together for this reason..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:25 am 

Hi Kyle and Lindy,

The second book hasn't shown up for sale in my town yet. Boo Hoo Hoo

I usually don't open a thread if I haven't read the book. Don't know what possessed me to open this one this morning, but I think I stopped reading in time to avoid a SPOILER, so sorry that AAR ruined the book for both of you.

I didn't read the review at AAR but noticed the reviewer only gave it a B Warm, which was a let down since I've been anticipating it since mid-July of 2010. I'll still buy it though if I see it for sale, if for no other reason than to see if I agree with that rating.

"Barely a Lady" by Eileen Dreyer (7/10) [Drake's Rakes - 1] (A- Hot) -- 1815, Regency Belgium & England

--Janie

So many books, so little time.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:07 pm 

Janie, the people who post here and on AAR are usually very careful about spoilers and will say "spoilers" in their comments.

It upsets me that reviewers cannot do the same thing. Books are expensive and we can't waste our money buying books that the storyline has already been laid out for us with spoilers included.

Just my thoughts!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:30 pm 

Lindy wrote:
Janie, the people who post here and on AAR are usually very careful about spoilers and will say "spoilers" in their comments.

It upsets me that reviewers cannot do the same thing. Books are expensive and we can't waste our money buying books that the storyline has already been laid out for us with spoilers included.

Just my thoughts!

Lindy, I totally agree with you on this! Really sloppy work from the Reviewer and whomever looked over the review before posting.

I know I've missed the mark from time to time on revealing something that I shouldn't have, and it breaks my heart when I fail in that area. Try and correct it soon as I can, that's for sure.

Drake's Rakes aside, I hope you have a good book coming your way this weekend. :D

--Janie

So many books, so little time.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:47 pm 

Though I like the spoiler, imperfect heroes are what I enjoy, that it wasn't caught was surprising because there have been reviews at AAR which leave out completely info which describes history of the hero/heroine and I've found that frustrating.

War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.-George Orwell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:04 am 

Actually, I'm glad I read that review.
As I hate cheating books, it saved me money and time.
But I do understand - it would have been correct for the reviewer to state in the premise that there would be spoilers.