Post subject: Major Spoiler for the end to 'Slave to Love' by Nikita Black
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:15 pm 

Don't continue to read if you don't want to be spoiled for the end of 'Slave to Love' - it includes information on the identity of the serial killer that is being sought throughout the book.

Background info - The hero's father just got out of prison a couple months previous to the start of the book. He had been convicted of murdering his wife and her lover when the hero was 10 years old. The hero as a result hates his father. Both the hero and heroine are police officers who become involved in trying to identify a serial killer who is killing couples. The hero is the lead officer in the task force.

Near the end the serial killer is found to be the hero's father who is killed (by the hero) during the course of an attempted murder. The hero and heroine are in love and are involved in a long term committed monogamous relationship. They purchase a house together though they haven't actually agreed to get married.

Shocker ending - A couple pages from the end - after the HEA - it is revealed that the hero is actually the killer, he did it all in order to set up his father (so he could kill him?) because he hated him so much. The heroine knows this but is fine with it because "she know's how much he loved his mother". (!?) Why did the author have to do this? It was a great book up to this point, (By the way - if anyone has a Kindle - the Kindle edition of the book is only $6.39).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:13 pm 

So the book's message is it's okay to kill people, as long as you're doing it to avenge someone you love? What????? Were the couples he killed guilty of something bad, or just random strangers? That's a very disturbing ending.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:39 pm 

The couples that were killed were just random strangers. And yes it is a very disturbing ending. Made all the worse because up until then it had been a very good book - I just need to pretend the last couple pages don't exist :). (I read the book on my kindle so I don't know exactly where in the print edition everything went south).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:01 pm 

The hero spent all his life not wanting to be like his father by keeping his emotions under control which is why he was called the "ice man", right? And then he becomes worse than his father? I mean, his father killed because his wife cheated on him (not that I'm saying that is an ok reason to commit murder) but the hero just killed random strangers? And the heroine was ok with this? Wow--I'm not sure which one wins first place (the H or the h).

Post subject: Re: Major Spoiler for the end to 'Slave to Love' by Nikita B
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:08 pm 

jjones360 wrote:
Don't continue to read if you don't want to be spoiled for the end of 'Slave to Love' - it includes information on the identity of the serial killer that is being sought throughout the book.

Background info - The hero's father just got out of prison a couple months previous to the start of the book. He had been convicted of murdering his wife and her lover when the hero was 10 years old. The hero as a result hates his father. Both the hero and heroine are police officers who become involved in trying to identify a serial killer who is killing couples. The hero is the lead officer in the task force.

Near the end the serial killer is found to be the hero's father who is killed (by the hero) during the course of an attempted murder. The hero and heroine are in love and are involved in a long term committed monogamous relationship. They purchase a house together though they haven't actually agreed to get married.

Shocker ending - A couple pages from the end - after the HEA - it is revealed that the hero is actually the killer, he did it all in order to set up his father (so he could kill him?) because he hated him so much. The heroine knows this but is fine with it because "she know's how much he loved his mother". (!?) Why did the author have to do this? It was a great book up to this point, (By the way - if anyone has a Kindle - the Kindle edition of the book is only $6.39).
jjones360: Did the hero admit to the killings or was there something else in the story that gives him away? Is it absolutely sure that he is the killer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:28 pm 

The hero comes home after a run and finds the heroine has been fixing up their new house. She has put up a few pictures - one of his mother which she had found along with a few of herself that the hero had taken.

The hero starts to panic - he had kept the picture of his mother hidden and didn't realize the heroine knew about it.

The serial killer had posed his female victims exactly like the pose his mother was in in the photo and they were wearing white outfits and orange scarves just like in the photo.

The heroine says 'strange how her picture looks so much like the pictures you took of me - and like the victims'.

Hero's mental response - "Holy F***, she knew!" "She knew everything.
He says to the heroine - "Not so strange, does it scare you?"

Heroine says - "No, you loved your mother".

So it's pretty clear he actually was the killer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:36 pm 

wow thats nuts
wow glad I wont be buying the book now.
you know why bother killing innocent people? why not just kill his dad and get it over with duh?!

and the female is dumb, she is ok that not only is he a killer, and a liar who hid things from her, but doessnt she think well he killed all these people, he has the power to kill her as well.

it ruined the book for me now, not matter how good it was till that point, everything about the hero is a lie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:12 pm 

It was the only time I ever felt physically sick after reading a book. I was never so disturbed by a book as this one. I thought it was such a great book up until the last few pages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:07 pm 

Has the author ever made any comments about this book? I'd love to hear why she felt the need to write that kind of a shock ending.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:01 am 

you know the shocking ending intrigues me but its not for a romance book'~ maybe for a suspense type and the heroine doesnt go along with it once she finds out.

someon said they dont know who is worse the hero or the heroine and I cant agree more with that. The thought that he was a serial killer and she is ok with it cause he loved his mother.

I can only imagine what kind of hate mail she gets.