Post subject: A historical where the H poisons the OW / his ex for betraya
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:11 pm 

Read this many years ago and my memory is sketchy. Pretty sure the h and H have an arranged marriage. The H had a mistress that he stopped seeing (at least at first) once he married the h. I remember that they lived in some castle in the countryside and one evening the H left the h in bed and went to the OW (don't remember why). I don't believe that he was in love with the OW.

There is some war going on (isn't it always in those days) and the OW betrays the H and possibly their country. I think the H was suspected of treason but later was cleared. Before he went back to the h, he found the OW and made her drink/eat poison. As he sat and waited for her to die he said something about how he once left his wife for the OW only to have her betray him -- something like that.

After the OW dies, he goes to find the h hoping she will take him back (not sure if the h also believed that the H committed treason). I think that the h is now living in town and is either having a party at her house or is attending a party. The H sees her through a window and the book ends shortly thereafter.

I can't remember more. What I do remember is that I disliked the H being with the OW after he was married because there was no real reason for it. IIRC he didn't have a fight with the h, he wasn't in love with the OW it was just something he did (unless I am mistaken about that).

Hope someone recalls this book and its title. Thanks!