Post subject: Solved "The Duke's Double by Anita Mills
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:46 pm 

I'm looking for an historical novel. Plot is basically. h returns to H after going to Italy with his friend after a mix up where she is accused of an affair with his friend. She has a child by H of which he knows nothing. That's about all I can remember . If this is familiar to anyone and you know the author and title please advise me.

Last edited by Camilla on Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Looking for the author and title of a book
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:03 am 

Hi Camilla,

Sounds like...

The Duke's Double by Anita Mills (7/88)
Reissued and Expanded: (2/00) - The version I've read.

Once Bitten

Once upon a time, beautiful Joanna Sherwood, the Countess of Carew, had been wildly, helplessly in love with Adrian Delacourt, the darkly handsome, devastatingly charming Duke of Roxbury.

That was before she married Adrian. That was before he showed his true colors when he accused her of unfaithfulness and dragged her name through the mud of public scandal. That was before she fled to Italy with Adrian's best friend, Gareth Sherwood, who rescued her from the total ruin of her divorce by making her his wife.

Now Joanna had returned to England as a ravishing young widow--only to find nothing had changed.

Unfair scandal still shrouded her name--and impossible love still burned in her heart....

1987-88 RT Reviewers' Choice -- Sensual Regency Romance

The review is no longer on The Romance Reader site, but here's a link to an archived copy that popped up on a search:

http://www.theromancereader.com/mills-dukes.html

I do recall that there was mention years ago of a similar plot, and while I used to recall the title and author, Alas. It's no longer with me and I didn't run across it in other reviews I scanned either. Anyone remember what I've forgotten?

--Janie

Post subject: Re: Looking for the author and title of a book
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:18 pm 

Thanks Janie.

I will check it out but I think you found it. I also remember an earlier book with the same plot but alas I can't remember that one either.

Post subject: Re: Solved "The Duke's Double by Anita Mills
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:30 am 

The Duke's Double IS the earlier book (1988).

PROMISE ME by Kathleen Harrington is a later book (1995) with similar plot.

SHATTERED VOWS
Courtney Shelburne's world was cruelly shaken when his beautiful bride of two months ran off to Italy with his closest friend. Enraged, the hot-tempered Earl of Warbeck swore he would someday have his revenge on the traitorous wench - all the while tormented by the knowledge that he desired her still.

PROMISE ME
Now, five years later, Philippa has returned to England - no longer the shy young miss Warbeck once married, but a sensuous woman of proud bearing, falsely damned by lies and vile, secret strategems. And though vengeance is finally within his grasp, the embittered earl cannot extinguish the passionate fire Philippa's presence ignites...nor can he still the voice within that begs him to welcome love back into his heart...

Enjoy! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:17 pm 

Camilla, you're welcome. Happy to help. And, if that's not your book, Jenny remembered the other one.

Jenny, thanks so much for posting about "Promise Me" by Kathleen Harrington. That is exactly the book I was trying to remember. It's been driving me crazy these last few days. Peace at last. [Sigh LOL]

Also, have you seen about Kathleen Harrington... Lachlan's Bride (5/13), looks like it's finally Book 2 in the Highland Laird's Trilogy that started in November 1999. Never say never. Right?

--Janie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:20 am 

Hi Janie,

Thanks for the info about Kathleen Harrington. I noticed some talk on different forums about the second part, but it was never anything substantial. I am glad she has written the second part. I just hope it matches our expectations.

To tell the truth I'd rather an author take all the time he/she needs and produce a decent book than a mediocre one every few months.

Good things are worth waiting for.

Happy reading!

Jenny