Post subject: Hero needs Heiress
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:00 am 

The only thing I remember about this book is that the H needs an heiress b/c his title is poor. It is a regency(I believe). The scene I remember from the book is at the end. The h tells the H that according to her lawyer all her funds are gone and the H leaves her. She is heartbroken at first, but then the H comes back after a few days and tells her he had to leave b/c he had to ride out to his country house before they started work on it. Since they were no longer rich they couldn't afford it. Of course he loves her and still wants to marry her. I can't remember if the "I've lost my money scheme" is something the h and her lawyer work up together or if it's just the h's idea, or if she doesn't know at all and it may be the lawyers idea and the h thinks she is penniless for real. For some reason I kept thinking it was Celeste Bradley, but if it is I have no idea, what book it is. Any suggestions would be great!!

Post subject: Re: Hero needs Heiress
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:28 pm 

I'm no help because I can't ID the book for you but I don't think it's Celeste Bradley; I've read this book and I haven't read many of hers. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's definitely a Regency. The couple planned to use her inheritance to restore the estate that his predecessor basically destroyed and started a lot of repairs etc in motion right away that the hero had to go stop so people wouldn't end up unpaid for their work. The plot to pretend she's poor was totally the solicitor's idea, possibly based on instructions from her late father's will. I'm mentally reviewing my bookshelves and if I find it I'll post back.

::Edit:: Found it! This is The Fortune Hunter by Diane Farr.