Post subject: Hysteria and orgasms
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:50 am 

I saw that a movie called Hysteria will be on Starz next Saturday and when I read the description it brought to mind a scene from a book I read a while back about a doctor who treated women suffering from hysteria by manually bringing his patients to orgasm. The heroine of the book went to see him, and as soon as she became aware of his treatment methods, she raced from his office. Does anyone recall reading a book that had a scene like this? I'm sure it was a contemporary romantic suspense novel, but I don't remember the author or title.

Post subject: Re: Hysteria and orgasms
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:26 pm 

I think it is The Orgasm Rebellion by Frank Lingo

Post subject: Re: Hysteria and orgasms
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:51 pm 

Njoy21 wrote:
I'm sure it was a contemporary romantic suspense novel, but I don't remember the author or title.

I've read historical novels that included the topic (female "hysteria" was diagnosed frequently in the Victorian era,) but they pretty much quit using "hysteria" as a diagnosis by the 20th century. I read a book sometime in the late 70's or early 80's that was a contemporary about a massage therapist who was really popular with all the local housewives who referred all their friends to him for his "special massages". When someone spilled the beans about his "special" treatments, it became a murder mystery. (can't remember whether he was killed or one of the wives he treated was murdered.)