Post subject: Aristocrat obsessed with french peasant
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:21 pm 

Hello,
I found this book description on a website, so I never read this book so don't ask me for more details. I'm a big fan of this theme where the hero is crazily in love with the heroine to the point of obsession. So I hope someone can help me find out the title of this book cause I'm dying to read it.
so here goes:
A historical romance
The theme is a French peasant girl is being fostered by a kindly academic landowner. Her foster brother and her are very close (almost a romantic relationship). the foster brother brings a friend home, a wealthy and influential man (possibly an aristocrat), who sees the girl and wants her. He tries to rape her, but the foster brother intercedes. The aristocrat then plots to have the foster father arrested on charges of treason, thereby making the girl vulnerable. He coerces the girl into becoming his mistress. She resists him throughout the majority of the book. At one point, others conspire to have her arrested and she is put in jail. She is pregnant by the aristocrat, but he is unaware of this or where she has been taken. She is starved and abused in prison for the majority of her pregnancy and eventually become deranged. The aristocrat finally is able to locate her and forces the jailor to release her. He brings her home and nurses her, but she continues to try to escape him. She has her baby and regains her senses, and then does escape the aristocrat and finds her foster brother, who has since become a rebel. He has become cold and abusive, and after forcing her to sleep with him and leaving her baby on the cold ground, she returns to the aristocrat, who is so relieved to have her back that he marries her.

Post subject: Re: Aristocrat obsessed with french peasant
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:29 pm 

Bump. This looks very interesting, would love to know

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:49 pm 

I've obsessively been searching for this book since I last posted, I even sent a message to The Romance Reader to see if they could solve it. I'm so desperate to see if this book even exists or if it's a mish-mash of different romances where the OP was confused

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:32 pm 

hi...sounds like Teresa Denys - The Silver Devil

Amid the gilded opulence and dark intrigue of Renaissance Italy grew a love that knew no bounds....

No woman's heart is safe from the Silver Devil. From the moment he sees the beautiful Felicia, he must have her. Overnight he changes Felicia's nightmare world of tavern drudgery into an erotic adventure as his royal mistress. He is the Duke of Cabria who holds his subjects in constant fear. He is troubled. He is ruthless. And Felicia is hopelessly in love with him - though at times he seems like the devil incarnate.…

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:55 am 

Sorry. It is not the Silver Devil by Teresa Denys. I just finished that book.