Post subject: Benefits from an Attorney General E-books Settlement Fund
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:29 pm 

Has anybody else received an email like this. This is the second one I received, first one was for my Sony account, the second for my Google account. If I get one from every account I have I will be getting lots more. When I received the first I wondered if it was a hoax, but then I was like how did they know I have a Sony reader account? So I thought I would see if I received more and I did. The other thing that made me pretty sure this is the real deal both emails read the same except for the ID numbers. And both have the same phone number and web address at the bottom. I wanted to ask my fellow ereaders if they have received similar emails.

This is some of what the email reads like. There is more but it has things like an ID number that is just for me etc... For that reason I did not copy the whole email.

What the Settlements Provide

The Settlements create a $69 million fund for payments to consumers who purchased qualifying E-books from April 1, 2010 through May 21, 2012. If the Court approves the Settlements, eligible consumers like you will receive payments.

My brain is truly a scary place, with very weird things going on.

Post subject: Re: Benefits from an Attorney General E-books Settlement Fun
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:16 pm 

I received a letter from Amazon about this. I have a Kindle and buy all my e-books from them so that's the only one I received.

It is legit. It's connected to the lawsuit the DOJ brought against Apple and several publishers over the agency model pricing. Some states also sued. Several of the publishers agreed to settle and these letters have to do with that settlement.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:29 pm 

One of the reason I will stick with Amazon is because they fought for us, the consumers, during that whole thing. Remember when Amazon started dropping publishers because they were asking too much for their new releases? (Over the $9.99 cap that Amazon was promoting for new releases) Eventually Amazon had to cave but they held out and fought more than anyone else.

Quote:
Dear Kindle Customer,

We have good news. You are entitled to a credit for some of your past e-book purchases as a result of legal settlements between several major e-book publishers and the Attorneys General of most U.S. states and territories, including yours. You do not need to do anything to receive this credit. We will contact you when the credit is applied to your Amazon.com account if the Court approves the settlements in February 2013.

Hachette, Harper Collins, and Simon & Schuster have settled an antitrust lawsuit about e-book prices. Under the proposed settlements, the publishers will provide funds for a credit that will be applied directly to your Amazon.com account. If the Court approves the settlements, the account credit will appear automatically and can be used to purchase Kindle books or print books. While we will not know the amount of your credit until the Court approves the settlements, the Attorneys General estimate that it will range from $0.30 to $1.32 for every eligible Kindle book that you purchased between April 2010 and May 2012. Alternatively, you may request a check in the amount of your credit by following the instructions included in the formal notice of the settlements, set forth below. You can learn more about the settlements here:
http://www.amazon.com/help/agencyebooksettlements

In addition to the account credit, the settlements impose limitations on the publishers’ ability to set e-book prices. We think these settlements are a big win for customers and look forward to lowering prices on more Kindle books in the future.

Thank you for being a Kindle customer.

The Amazon Kindle Team

==========================================================

(c) 2012 Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
Amazon.com, 410 Terry Avenue N., Seattle, WA 98109-5210.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:01 pm 

Thanks for letting me know ladies.

My brain is truly a scary place, with very weird things going on.